Thursday, June 16, 2016

It is not about me ...

We all have a set of values depending on our generation.  Some generations have learned that they should work hard and they will be able to fulfill their dreams; others believe they can do anything they set their hearts on, ... some many ways to view life!

Since becoming a Christian I have believed God had a wonderful plan for my life.  A plan that would include many blessings, hundreds of people coming to Christ, many opportunities to share my experiences, many stories of success. God is good and he has this wonderful life for me. 

I believe in many ways, we, the church has adopted the worldview of our generation in the way we see faith and God's actions in the world.  

What happens then when we do not receive the blessings we believe we are entitled to; what happens when not one person comes to Christ for a long time, when we have no opportunities to share our experiences and have just a few stores of success.  Have I failed?  Did God miscue?

None of the above ... we must readjust our view and understand of God and His ways.  Lately I have been facing this truth.  It is not all about me.  It is not about my success in achieving my goals.  It is not even about the number of people I am able to reach from month to month.   

The truth is that God is much more interested in me, the simple version of me.  The version of me that depends on Him, the version of me that look for His interest, the version of me that searches to understand His ways that are new each day, not because He changes but because I am getting to know another facet of His great being.  

I see two lessons in this:

1) When he looks to me he sees a gem.  A gem does not have to do anything to have value.  A gem IS valuable.  I am valuable to Him.  He enjoys looking at me and seeing the reflection of His son.  He enjoys the thought that I belong to him.  Nothing I do or do not do will ever change his pleasure in me.  This has been a life-changing thought. 

2) On the other hand, it is not about me.  It is His story.  He is reaching people, He is working all the time around me. He is preparing the soil, he is planting seeds, he is harvesting, he is resting the soil.  His timing is perfect and his work is flawless.  Do I have anything to do with it?  Yes, I can abide in Him and take part of what He is doing.  I can watch His actions and rejoice in them.  I can rest in Him and wait until His timing is perfect.  No pressure on me, no credit to me - my share is to rejoice in Him. 

These have been two truths I have been learning lately.  I am so honored to belong to a God so powerful that He controls the world but so sensitive to the point of watching me and maneuvering His ways around so I can take a small part in His might work. 



No comments: