Saturday, April 30, 2016

When God does not use my evangelistic strategy ...



Working with our company, we have received much training in Evangelism. With time I have developed my own style of doing it.  It always include lots of coffee time, sharing my own experience with God, making reference to the Bible often and planting seeds of doubt about the person's religious experience. 


In this process I pray often I will have an opportunity to share my testimony and lead the person to consider the same experience.   This is my strategy. 

I met P. a while ago in a craft event.  She has worked for new Ms. teaching the local language and culture.  That is her job.  She has been around Christians for a long time, observing and almost being accustomed to our culture.  I have grown to appreciate her as friend as she faithfully attends my craft class. 

A while back I felt I needed to put the situation in check.  I asked for prayer.  I mentioned to her that I would not be a real friend if I did not ask some questions. I made the point of sharing my testimony and challenged her to move from knowing about God to knowing God Himself.  She could not see what I was pointing out.  I felt I failed in my attempt.  

Perhaps God was not working in her life like I thought He was ... 

Perhaps I was too direct, burning bridges ...

Perhaps I failed in the way I explained it ...

Perhaps, perhaps, perhaps ... 

But about the same time ...

P.'s brother had a transplant a while back.  Just recently they found a heart condition that required an open-heart surgery as well.   She was understandably worried about caring for him (who lives with her), taking care of her son and keeping up with her business.  I can imagine that her silent prayer was that God would pass this cup from her.    

For some reason she requested another exam.  She does not know why but she knew it was to be done.  The breakthrough starts with the doctor agreeing to do so, as all was ready to put the date of the surgery in the calendar. They were to go back to get the second results and set the date on a Monday.  On Sunday, the day before, while attending her Cth. church, she prayed God would give her strength.  She had a wild thought, almost like a flash in her mind, a voice that said:  "What if it is not necessary?".  She kept it to herself. 

The next morning they went to the get the results.  The doctor said: "Not sure how to start this, ... I have never seen this happening before ... there was a change ... the blockage moved ... no need for a surgery."  Wow!  She quickly called me saying (screaming): "God exists, He answer prayers!!!!!"

The next day she came to my class and her face was changed, her look was different.  I saw Jesus in her!  That is what I mean: God is not limited to our strategy of evangelism.  He will reach different people, different ways, ... we just sit in awe as He gives us the privilege to be a spectator of His might work of reaching the lost. 

Since then, she has been very outspoken about God's existence, His power, His answers to prayer, etc, etc.  She shared this testimony with all the other ladies in my class. And I stand amazed at what He is doing, His own way, not always following my strategy! :)

Mark 1

Jesus Heals a Man With Leprosy



40 A man with leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, “If you are willing, you can make me clean.” 

41 Jesus was indignant. He reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” 

42 Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cleansed. 
43 Jesus sent him away at once with a strong warning: 
44 “See that you don’t tell this to anyone. But go, show yourself to the priest and offer the sacrifices that Moses commanded for your cleansing, as a testimony to them.” 
45 Instead he went out and began to talk freely, spreading the news.

No comments: